5 Tips to Upcycle Jewellery
If you’ve got some older jewellery sitting at the bottom of your jewellery box that rarely gets a chance to shine, upcycling can give it a new lease of life.
Maybe the design has become dated or perhaps you’ve inherited something sentimental that isn’t your style, whatever the reason for that necklace, brooch, bangle or pair of earrings no longer being shown off, Arabel Lebrusan can work with you to help you transform it into something you’ll be delighted to wear.
But what’s the process, is it expensive and can any item get some upcycle magic? Here are our top five tips to jewellery upcycling.
- First of all consider if upcycling really is the best option. This is particularly important with jewellery you’ve inherited. While Arabel can help you find designs that respect the original piece, once changes have been made they can’t be undone. If that brooch or ring from your grandmother or mum is changed, would that affect your memory of how that piece looked on them, or will it enhance it for a new generation?
- Two can become one with upcycling. Maybe you have a pair of diamond earrings or a necklace that you never wear, these diamonds could be reset into a ring or a new broach. Whatever your ideas Arabel can help you find something that gets the best sparkle from your stones.
- Consider the value of your jewellery. Whilst upcycling can help increase value in some pieces, if you have some classic pieces from Van Cleef & Arpels, Jar or Cartier we wouldn’t recommend upcycling it, as it will lose its original iconic design.
- Upcycling gives you something unique at a price you can afford. In a similar way to Arabel’s bespoke service, upcycling can create a one-off piece, at a great price, as you’ll be using materials you already own. Arabel will need to see the item in advance and take measurements of the stones so they can be set properly into the new piece, but you’ll also discuss design ideas to make sure you get exactly what you’re looking for.
- Upcycling doesn’t mean replacing. If your older jewellery has sentimental value but just isn’t your style then you can upcycle it without losing the soul of the original piece. Of course stones can be easily reset into a new piece but original precious metals can often be used too. Arabel will be able to help you work out the best way to incorporate as much of the original piece as possible into something new.
"Upcycling jewellery really is a great way give the jewellery at the bottom of your jewellery box a chance to shine again."
If you’d like to see how Arabel could help you add some sparkle to your older jewellery then get in touch and see what might be possible.